- To develop the transportation infrastructure of the region for the purpose of facilitating economic development in the region;
- To assist the region in obtaining the job training, employment-related education, and business development (with an emphasis on entrepreneurship) that are needed to build and maintain strong local economies;
- To provide assistance to severely distressed and underdeveloped areas that lack financial resources for improving basic public services;
- To provide assistance to severely distressed and underdeveloped areas that lack financial resources for equipping industrial parks and related facilities;
- To otherwise achieve the purposes of Subtitle F. To help grow Missouri’s communities in the delta region of the state (those along and near the Mississippi River), assistance is available and dedicated to developing transportation infrastructure, improving severely distressed and underdeveloped areas, and obtaining job training and employment-related education to strengthen the local workforce.
The EDA Distressed counties in the Authority area are: Bollinger, Butler, Carter, Crawford, Dent, Douglas, Dunklin, Howell, Iron, Madison, Mississippi, New Madrid, Oregon, Ozark, Pemiscot , Perry, Phelps, Reynolds, Ripley, Ste. Genevieve, St. Francois, Scott, Shannon, Stoddard, Texas, Washington, Wayne, Wright.
Note: Cape Girardeau County is not an EDA distressed county. Applications from Cape Girardeau County may be received if the application meets one of these criteria: 1) is multi-county in nature; 2) brings significant benefits to areas of the region outside the non-distressed county; or 3) serves an isolated area of distress having high rates of poverty or unemployment.