As the state’s number one incentive tool for expansion and retention, this program helps businesses access capital through withholdings or tax credits to embark on facility expansions and create jobs. This program can also help businesses purchase equipment to maintain its facility in Missouri. Looking for cutting-edge training programs that will get your workforce up to speed? Learn more about our premier workforce training program, Missouri One Start.
Do I Qualify?
- For-Profit or non-profit businesses.
- Not Eligible:
- Gambling establishments, food and drinking places, public utilities, educational services, religious organizations, public administration, ethanol distillation or production, biodiesel production, healthcare and social services, or store front consumer-based retail trade establishments not located in a third or fourth class county.
- Businesses that are delinquent in payment of any non protested taxes or other payments (state, federal, local).
- Businesses that have filed for or have publicly announced their intention to file for bankruptcy, unless certain requirements are met.
- Businesses that are relocating jobs from Johnson, Miami, or Wyandotte counties in Kansas to Jackson, Platte, Clay or Cass counties in Missouri. However, net new jobs created above a qualified company’s base employment may be eligible for benefits.
- Note: Headquarters, administrative, or research and development offices of otherwise excluded businesses may be eligible if the predominant function of such offices is to serve a multistate territory.
|Program||Minimum New Jobs||Minimum New Private Capital Investment||Minimum Average Wage||Automatic Benefit|
|Zone Works (Note 1)||2||$100,000||80% of County Av. Wage||WH, 5 or 6 years (Note 3)|
|Rural Works |
|2||$100,000||90% of County Avg. Wage||WH, 5 or 6 years (Note 3)|
|Statewide Works||10||N/A||90% of County Avg. Wage||WH, 5 or 6 years (Note 3)|
|Mega Works 120||100||N/A||120% of County Avg. Wage||6% of new payroll, 5 or 6 years (Note 3)|
|Mega Works 140||100||N/A||140% of County Avg. Wage||7% of new payroll, 5 or 6 years (Note 3)|
|Qualified Military Projects||10||Real or personal property amount as outlined in the proposal||90% of County Avg. Wage||Tax credits equal to the estimated WH taxes for a term up to 15 years. Must receive a proposal for benefits.|
- "WH” means the retention of the state withholding tax of the new jobs
- Note 1: Project facility must be located in an Enhanced Enterprise Zone.
- Note 2: Project facility must be located in a “rural” county, which would NOT include Boone, Buchanan, Clay, Greene, Jackson, St. Charles, and St. Louis City and County
- Note 3: Benefit period is 5 years, or 6 years for existing Missouri companies (those that have been operational in Missouri for at least 10 years).
How Do I Apply?
Please email your application to: DED_BCS.MoWorks@ded.mo.gov or mail it to:
Missouri Department of Economic Development
Business and Community Solutions
301 W. High Street - Room 770
P.O. Box 118
Jefferson City, Missouri 65102-0118
The Application can be found on the documents tab.
Prior to the receipt of a DED proposal or approval of a notice of intent (“NOI”), none of the following can have occurred:
- Significant, project-specific site work at the project facility.
- Purchased machinery or equipment related to the project.
- A publicly announced intention to make new capital investment at the project facility.
A qualified company may request a proposal for estimated benefits or apply directly with an NOI to DED. DED will then confirm the business is eligible; establish the date at which “base employment” is calculated; reserve the estimated tax credits for the project (if any); and establish the 2-year deadline date by which the minimum thresholds for the creation of the new jobs, investment, etc. must be met.