The Creating Helpful Incentives for Producing Semiconductors (CHIPS) Act Program (the Program) will make investments in the state’s semiconductor supply chain and ecosystem, with an ultimate goal of attracting semiconductor manufacturers to Missouri.
The Program is aligned with the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s (NIST) CHIPS Incentives Program funding opportunities, which aim to facilitate investment in American manufacturing and improve the security and resilience of the semiconductor supply chain in the interest of national security. Funds from the Program will support entities that have or will apply to an NIST CHIPS Incentives Program opportunity.
The Missouri General Assembly appropriated $10 million to the Department of Economic Development (the Department) in House Bill 7 at § 7.035 (2023) for the Program. Grant funding is subject to annual re-appropriation.
Do I Qualify?
- A private business entity, or a consortia of private and public entities, that is eligible for and plan to apply for funding under one of the federal NIST CHIPS Incentives Programs listed below:
- Commercial Fabrication Facilities (includes applications for the construction, expansion, or modernization of commercial facilities for semiconductor materials and manufacturing equipment, for which the capital investment equals or exceeds $300 million)
- Facilities for Semiconductor Materials and Manufacturing Equipment (includes Small Scale Supplier projects)
- Research and Development programs (upcoming funding opportunity under NIST CHIPS Incentives Programs; eligibility contingent on alignment with HB7.035)
In general, project activities should correspond to federal guidelines for NIST CHIPS Incentives Program funding opportunities. Examples of eligible activities include:
- Construction, expansion or modernization of a facility, or equipment for that facility.
- Site development and modernization for an eligible facility.
- Workforce development for an eligible facility.
- Direct research and development as defined by the upcoming NIST CHIPS Incentive Program funding opportunity (for Research and Development Programs only)
How Do I Apply?
The Department intends to award program funds through the two-step process identified in section 6 of the program guidelines.
- November 28 | Missouri CHIPS RFI due to the Department (Step 1)
- Early December | Tentative Award Notification
- Upon federal CHIPS award | Tentative Awardees submit proof of federal award and supplemental information/documents as required by the Department (Step 2)
- Ongoing through September 2026 | Awardees request and receive funds on a reimbursement-basis
NOTE: Dates are tentative and subject to change. Reimbursement of expenses is contingent on re-appropriation.