Job Posting - Director, Communications & Marketing
Lead efforts to drive awareness about economic development programs and services that strengthen communities and help businesses create jobs. You’ll work with businesses leaders and community partners across the state to celebrate and promote economic development wins as we journey to become Best in Midwest.
Jefferson City, MO
$64,000 - $75,000 (based upon credentials)
|CLOSING DATE||May 24, 2019|
Interested candidates should:
Submit a cover letter, resume, and copy of transcripts to Rachel.Potts@ded.mo.gov on May 24, 2019. Please include the position title and location when submitting your information.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Lead and oversee efforts to inform Missouri economic regions, businesses, communities, state workforce, and the general public of Departmental mission, initiatives, objectives and accomplishments through social media, news releases, and publications
- Supervise and support the professional development of the communications and marketing team
- Write speeches and presentations for the Department Director and prepare briefings on the Director’s speaking engagements
- Serve as spokesperson for the Department, responding to media inquiries and prepping subject matter experts in the Department for media interviews when deemed appropriate
- Organize and coordinate special events, ribbon cuttings and job announcements, and work with team members to develop materials, displays, and programs to promote department services, missions, goals, and enhance consistency and accuracy of those efforts
- Plan, compose, and/or edit appropriate communications materials, newsletters, articles, bulletins, manuals, pamphlets, brochures, internet web pages and professional or other publications for public distribution.
- Monitor press and social media daily and inform management of any relevant issues
- Monitor web traffic, media coverage and other digital analytics to track content performance and identify and implement best practices
- Occasional travel required
- Perform other related work as assigned
- Strong written and oral communications skills required
- Ability to take complex industry related information and communicate it in a way that is clearly understood
- Ability to plan, organize and complete complex projects within given deadlines
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with department officials, business and trade associations representatives, federal, state and local officials, government and community leaders, and the public
- Advanced knowledge of public relations, communications, journalism, graphic design, film/video production
- Advanced knowledge of news media operation and its utilization for dissemination of information
- Advanced knowledge of social media platforms and how to use for professional purposes
- Ability to compose and produce a variety of informational materials for release to media or publications.
- Ability to conduct research and to find pertinent and newsworthy information
- Ability to use a variety of desktop publishing software packages
- Ability to produce graphic art, photographic, and other materials
- Ability to travel as needed in the performance of primary job responsibilities
- Ability to demonstrate regular and reliable attendance
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in one or a combination of the following: communications, public relations, journalism, English, marketing, advertising, or a closely related field
- Five or more years of professional experience in communications, public relations, marketing, or journalism
- Extensive experience working with social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.
- Extensive experience working with Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator and/or Photoshop, etc.
- Extensive experience working with web content editing software such as WordPress and email distribution programs such as Constant Contact or GovDelivery
- Supervisory or management experience is helpful