The purpose of the Show Me Strong Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Retooling Program – Nitrile Gloves under section 601(a) of the Social Security Act, as added by section 5001 of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) and as amended by section 1001 of the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021, Public Law 116-260, is to provide grant funding to manufacturers, nonprofit organizations, and/or other entities to reimburse certain costs for retooling existing facilities by purchasing necessary equipment and services to manufacture medical/surgical Nitrile gloves and disposable Nitrile gloves for use in Missouri. This grant funding will be administered by the Department of Economic Development (DED) and will assist entities with creating new business while contributing to the fight against the current COVID-19 public health emergency.
Grant Program Parameters
The grant program is statewide.
The grant program is competitive and will be awarded to only one applicant.
Total grant award is $4.5 million for the production of medical/surgical Nitrile gloves and disposable Nitrile gloves.
All expenditures must be made between January 1, 2021, and November 1, 2021.
All receipts, proof of payment and invoices must be received no later than November 1, 2021.
DED will require a project impact report by July 1, 2022.
Application review will consider eligibility of expenses, economic impact potential, budget components, and the proposed plan to manufacture and produce medical/surgical Nitrile gloves and disposable Nitrile gloves.
Upon notification of the grant award, the applicant must enter into a program agreement with DED outlining program details, requirements, and state and federal terms and conditions; and execute a company certification.
Program guidelines, application, and supporting materials can be downloaded below. For additional resources on PPE, visit the Department of Health and Senior Services' website here.
For questions or more information, contact Melanie Wankum at Melanie.Wankum@ded.mo.gov.
Applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the grant award:
- The applicant must be a for-profit or not-for-profit entity.
- The applicant must have 500 full-time employees or fewer. Full-time employee means a person who is scheduled to work 35 or more hours per week.
- The applicant’s medical/surgical Nitrile gloves and disposable Nitrile gloves must be produced at a Missouri facility.
- The applicant must be:
- A manufacturer that either has retooled or is planning to retool its facility or otherwise modify its manufacturing operation to produce medical/surgical Nitrile gloves and disposable Nitrile gloves; or
- A manufacturer with a new line established for the purpose of producing medical/surgical Nitrile gloves and disposable Nitrile gloves; or
- A nonprofit corporation that has undertaken or will undertake activities necessary to manufacture medical/surgical Nitrile gloves and disposable Nitrile gloves.
- The applicant must be registered and in good standing with the Missouri Secretary of State.
- The applicant must register as a vendor with the State of Missouri through the MissouriBUYS web portal.
- The applicant must agree to make good faith efforts to sell in Missouri the medical/surgical Nitrile gloves and disposable Nitrile gloves produced as a result of this grant program. At a minimum, the applicant must, if possible, register and post its product on Missouri’s PPE Marketplace and agree to be included in the Missouri PPE Manufacturers Directory, before seeking buyers outside of the state.
- The applicant must complete and submit Form 943 to obtain a certificate of tax clearance (valid for 90 days) from the Missouri Department of Revenue for each owner and the business. Form 943 is at http://dor.mo.gov/forms/943.pdf.
- The applicant must not employ illegal workers and must provide proof of enrollment in E-Verify.
- Applicants must share their production plan and product specifications with DED and authorize DED to share them with other agencies or entities as indicated to be considered for funding under this program.
- The applicant must produce medical/surgical Nitrile gloves and disposable Nitrile gloves as part of the project through June 30, 2022.
- The applicant will be required to submit a project impact report due to DED on July 1, 2022.
Eligible expenses include necessary costs incurred for medical/surgical Nitrile gloves and disposable Nitrile gloves production to respond to the current COVID-19 public health emergency, including:
- retooling a facility;
- purchasing equipment;
- constructing facilities;
- regulatory certification/approval fees;
- building costs;
- design/engineering costs;
- technological upgrades for machinery;
- shipping costs;
- raw materials;
- contracted services and other critical inputs aiding in the manufacturing process; and
- other costs as approved by DED and as reasonably necessary to increase production of medical/surgical Nitrile gloves and disposable Nitrile gloves.
Only reasonable costs for professional services will be accepted under the program with the reimbursement of such services at DED’s discretion. Expenses that have been or will be reimbursed by insurance or under any other federal, state, or local government-funding program will be ineligible.
February 17, 2021 | Announcement of Program, Guidelines and Application made available
Noon CST March 3, 2021 | Application submission deadline
March 8, 2021 | Application Approval date
November 1, 2021 | Date by which all receipts, proof of payment and invoices must be submitted to DED
December 31, 2021 | Date by which all reimbursements are made to applicant
July 1, 2022 | Project impact report due to DED