|TITLE||Workforce Development Specialist I - Disabled Veterans’ Outreach Program (DVOP)|
|LOCATION||FEC Job Center (Jackson County) – 1740 Paseo, Suite D, Kansas City, MO 64108|
|CLOSING DATE||November 16, 2018|
This position must be filled by honorably discharged, disabled veterans as defined in Chapter 36, RSMo.
The Division of Workforce Development currently has two vacant DVOP positions, one will be located at the FEC Job Center covering Jackson County, and one will be out-stationed at the Kansas City VA Medical Center.
Interested candidates should:
Send cover letter, current resume, transcripts, military DD2-14, copy of award letter from the Veterans Administration indicating status of disability, and contact information for 3 professional references to fax number (573) 522-9814 or via email to HRHelpDesk@ded.mo.gov no later than 5:00 p.m. on November 16, 2018. Please include the position title and location when submitting your information.
Employee is required to travel and attend a one-time, week-long, out-of-state veteran specific training within the first 12 months of employment. The Department will arrange and cover applicable travel/lodging expenses. On a weekly basis, up to 50% of work time the employee shall travel within the assigned service counties to conduct outreach to labor unions, community-based organizations, faith-based organizations, corrections and educational organizations, veterans’ organizations and other veteran-focused events/activities. Travel will generally consist of day travel, with occasional overnight travel required for Department-provided position specific training and continuing education.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Provide case management and intensive services to veterans who have significant barriers to employment.
- Conduct regional outreach activities to locate veterans through contacts with local veterans’ organizations, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and other State Agencies such as Missouri Veteran's Commission, Vocational Rehabilitation and other institutions that serve veterans. (On site visits required throughout the area of responsibility)
- Consult and coordinate with other appropriate representatives of Federal, State, and local programs for the purpose of developing maximum linkages to promote employment opportunities and assistance for veterans with significant barriers to employment.
- Develop outreach programs in cooperation with appropriate Department of Veterans Affairs personnel engaged in providing counseling or rehabilitation services, with educational institutions, and with employers in order to maximum assistance to disabled veterans who have completed or are participating in a vocational rehabilitation program. (On site visits required throughout the area of responsibility)
- Provide vocational guidance or vocational counseling services, or both, to veterans with respect to selection of and changes in vocations and vocational adjustment.
- Ensure veterans are aware of other programs for veterans' such as those that are available through Missouri's Department of Education.
- Work with partners to maximize opportunities for veterans and ensure veterans are given priority access to Department of Labor programs.
- Work closely with other staff as part of case management team.
- Provide veteran related resources to Job Center staff.
- Document all services and activities in case management system as required by program guidelines.
- Perform other related work as assigned.
- Demonstrate regular and reliable attendance.
- Knowledge of Veteran Services
- Customer Service
- Effective Written & Verbal Communication
- Computer Literacy
- Strategic Thinking
- Interview Techniques
- Vocational Guidance & Counseling
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 24 earned credit hours in one or a combination of the following: Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Labor Economics, Education, Business, Personnel, or Public Administration, or a closely related field. (Experience in the areas described below may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for deficiencies in the required education).
AREAS OF QUALIFYING EXPERIENCE
- Technical or professional experience in social services, education, job placement, community organization, business, personnel or public administration, or closely related area;
- Military experience (at the E-5 level, or above) with primary responsibility in a comparable capacity involving recruiting or personnel administration.